Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:Man sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Man sentenced to life plus 30 years in 2018 California spa bombing that killed his ex-girlfriend
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:36:56
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Southern California man was sentenced Friday to two concurrent life sentences,Johnathan Walker plus 30 years, for blowing up his ex-girlfriend’s spa business with a package bomb in 2018, killing her and seriously injuring two others.
Friday’s hearing concluded a case against Stephen Beal that was fraught with missteps for investigators and prosecutors since the May 15, 2018 bombing in an Aliso Viejo spa, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Los Angeles.
“Mr. Beal will never be able to get out to harm innocent victims again,” said E. Martin Estrada, the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, at a news conference after the sentencing.
Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said Beal maintained his innocence during Friday’s hearing.
“I could not think of anything more insulting,” Barnes said during a news conference after the sentencing.
Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, was killed in the fiery blast when she opened a box with a homemade bomb inside that Beal had slipped into the spa while she was in Hungary visiting family. Two clients she had just treated — a mother and daughter — were knocked off their feet. The blast destroyed the business and tore a large hunk from the building. Body parts were found in the parking lot.
Beal, a partner in the business, was jealous Krajnyak had been dating someone else after their 18-month relationship ended, prosecutors said.
Beal was arrested shortly after the explosion on a single charge of possessing an unregistered destructive device but was never officially named as a suspect in the blast in the days that followed. The charge was dropped after prosecutors questioned whether material found at his Long Beach home constituted a “destructive device.” Beal claimed that explosive material found at his house was for his model rockets.
He was free for nearly 10 months before being re-arrested following a painstaking analysis of the evidence.
Beal’s first trial in 2022 ultimately ended in a mistrial after the federal jury deadlocked. He was retried in 2023 and the second jury convicted him of four felonies including the use of a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death.
Beal also was found guilty of malicious destruction of a building resulting in death, use of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and possession of an unregistered destructive device.
Beal’s federal public defender, Craig Harbaugh, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Man, 86, accused of assuming dead brother’s identity in 1965 convicted of several charges
- Vanessa Bryant Keeps Kobe and Daughter Natalia’s First Day of School Tradition Going With Flower Delivery
- Dick Van Dyke learns ukulele at age 97: 'Never too late to start something new'
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- In the basketball-crazed Philippines, the World Cup will be a shining moment
- Jennifer Aniston Details How Parents' Divorce Impacted Her Own Approach to Relationships
- Man, 86, accused of assuming dead brother’s identity in 1965 convicted of several charges
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Southern California begins major cleanup after Tropical Storm Hilary's waist-level rainfall
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- 'Frasier' returns: Kelsey Grammer's premiere date, updated theme song revealed
- David Harbour Reveals Taylor Swift Left His Stepdaughter “Speechless” With Handwritten Note
- Jason Kelce's 'cheap shot' sparks practice-ending brawl between Eagles, Colts
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Kerry Washington, Martin Sheen shout for solidarity between Hollywood strikers and other workers
- Proof Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott's Daughter Stormi Is Ready for Kids Baking Championship
- Dominican Republic shutters schools and offices ahead of Tropical Storm Franklin
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Trump says he will surrender Thursday to Fulton County authorities
Ecuadorians head to the polls just weeks after presidential candidate assassinated
'Inhumane': Louisiana man killed woman, drove with her body for 30 days, police say
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Proof Ariana Madix Isn't Pumping the Brakes on Her Relationship With New Man Daniel Wai
Royals unveil proposed ballpark and entertainment district plans for 2 locations
Are salaried workers required to cross a picket line during a labor strike? What happens.